Summer Holidays mean Beading Time

In Australia, our summers are long and hot - and we are a nation who tends to go on holidays at this time - and I'm no exception to this.

For me, it means time with friends, family, children and now grandchildren, and time at the beach. We travel about 3 hours from home and spend a couple of weeks by the beach. My family (sons and husband) love to fish - and while they're out in the boat or at the pier, I can be found beading in our caravan.

Travel beading means being organised - I don't have access to all my beads, pearls, crystals and findings, and I'm more limited in exploring my own creative pursuits and designing. It means that I usually pack two or three 'kits' and projects form other designers. This helps me grow my own professional skills, as learning from others is a great way to expand my own skill sets, plus I love to support other beading designers.

In 2021, I completed two big projects, one by Helena Tang-Lim called 'The Urchin' and the 'Halo Star' by Jean Power. Both of these projects are now complete, and are on display in my beading studio. The beauty of completing these type of projects while on holidays is everything you need is in the kit - beads, design, instructions and a packing box/container that keeps everything together.

I always take my beading board with a closable lid/cover on it, which makes it easy to pack up and put away when other summer activities take priority. And my beading bag has lots of pockets and spot to pack all the things I need - thread, scissors, lighting and needles. My very special camp chair has a foldable table on it (like one you'd see on an airline seat) which makes it perfect to bead outside in the sunshine.

In 2022, I plan to complete another of Helena's projects - 'The Ode to Imperial Yang', a piece I did start during the year but am yet to complete.

I also plan on writing up two lots of instructions for new classes I'm teaching in 2023 - 'Neslee Earrings' and 'Carousel Pendant'. Instructions take time, but writing down and capturing each step of the design process ensures that it is repeatable (and teachable).

So, that's my Summer Holiday Beading plan - lots of finishing and lots of preparation for the year ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Colours in Beading

My Beading Journal